This series on “Blood Transfusion during the COVID-19 Pandemic” is edited by Dr. Arwa Al-Riyami from Sultan Qaboos University Hospital, Oman.
Arwa Al-Riyami, BS.c. MD, FRCPc
Department of Hematology, Sultan Qaboos University Hospital, Muscat, Oman
Dr Arwa Al-Riyami is a Senior Consultant Hematopathologist working at the Sultan Qaboos University Hospital (SQUH) in Muscat, the Sultanate of Oman. She obtained the fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in Hematological Pathology. She is the Program Director of the Hematopathology Residency Program at the Oman Medical Specialty Board (OMSB) and serves as a member of Executive Board of OMSB. She is a member of the National Transfusion Committee at the Ministry of Health. Dr. Al-Riyami has an interest in transfusion medicine and blood banking and medical research.
Dr. Al-Riyami is a member of many international organizations including the AABB, ISBT, CSTM and ISLH. She is an AABB international ambassador, an AABB assessor and a member of the AABB membership and Global Transfusion Forum steering committees. She is a member of the ISBT Young Professional Council in representation of the Eastern Mediterranean region and chaired the Council in 2018-2019. She is a member of the ISBT publication committee, ISBT Clinical Transfusion working party, ISBT Transfusion Transmitted Infectious Diseases working party and ISBT Working Party on Global Blood Safety.
- Blood Transfusion demand in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 infection
- The role of Patient Blood Management principles during COVID-19 pandemic: a narrative review
- Transfusion Transmitted COVID-19 infection: a theoretical risk?
- Meeting Clinical Transfusion Demands: The response of the Canadian Blood Services during COVID-19 pandemic
- Meeting demand of transfusion care of patients with sickle cell disease during COVID-19 pandemic: the Africa experience
- UK Guidance in supporting the transfusion needs of patients with inherited red cell disorders during the COVID-19 pandemic in England
- Supporting the transfusion needs of patients with thalassemia during the COVID-19 pandemic: Lebanon experience
- Challenges in blood supply in supporting transfusion needs during COVID-19 pandemic: South Korea experience
- Impact of COVID-19 on Transfusion care of patients with hemoglobin disorders in India
The special series “Blood Transfusion during the COVID-19 Pandemic” was commissioned by the editorial office, Annals of Blood without any funding or sponsorship. Arwa Al-Riyami is serving as the unpaid Guest Editor for the special series.